MSW’s Take: We’ve been lucky enough to work closely with Kinematic Speed in the development of this shifter. We tested three shifters in four different cars at numerous tracks over a several month long test cycle, including numerous 8+ hour long endurance events. We’ve driven nearly ever competing shifter on the market, and the Kinematic Speed Race Shifter always came out on top in terms of smoothness, accurate shifting, and ease of installation.
- Auto-centering for optimized shifts (reduced chance or mis-shift)
- Adjustable side travel stops
- One man install (captured fasteners)
- Rigid ultra lightweight FEA optimized cast aluminum base
- Integral boot sealing transmission tunnel upon install (no cutting up your old boot)
- Sealed ball bearings throughout providing ultra smooth operation
- Fitment optimized for all ‘E’ chassis 5 and 6 speed applications
- Two different selector rod attachment points for achieving proper throw with 6 speed transmissions
- Verified fitment within stock console for E36, E46, and E90/2
Kinematic Speed put in a huge amount of research and development to create the most refined race shifter option for the BMW community. The entire experience from install to use has been optimized through a rigorous design phase and countless rounds of prototypes and evaluation.
We’ve installed and used all kinds of race shifters in our years of building BMW’s for track and race duty and knew there was room to improve the offering. Features like one person install capability, an integral boot to seal off the tunnel, fitment within stock consoles, and sealed ball bearings throughout for long term maintenance free operation are just the start with this shifter.
The adjustable side travel stops and centering location let you dial in this shifter exactly to your application while the height positions the shifter optimally for quick shifts and less time with hands off the wheel. The cast aluminum base has been FEA optimized to ensure rigidity for the long haul at the lightest weight possible, we’ve really pulled out all the stops on this one.
The Kinematic Speed Race Shifter is compatible with all E30, E36, E46, E9X, E36/7/8, and E85/86 models, both 5 and 6 speeds. The shifter can be used with your stock selector rod, as well as aftermarket DSSR style rods.
The Race Shifter is compatible with most performance engine and transmission mounts, however we highly recommend pairing it with our MSW Enhanced Engine Mounts, which were developed alongside this shifter to provide the best possible performance and reliability.
Contents: Shifter, Drill Bit, 3mm Allen Key