MSW’s Take: Need a more economical, but still strong wheel for your street, track, or race car? These TA5R wheel’s meet the needs for most applications.
The TA5R uses the latest flow-form manufacturing process to produce a light weight, strong, BMW track wheel with huge caliper clearance for street, track, autocross, and racing use. The TA5R borrows many design elements from our forged TA16 wheel but in a more economical price range. Compared to other flow-formed wheels on the market the TA5R is a similar weight but stronger, with better caliper clearance, and at a similar price point.
|TA5R Wheel Size||Wheel Weight|
|18×8.5″ ET38||18.73 lbs|
|18×9.0″ ET31-42||19.42 lbs|
|18×9.5″ ET22-35||19.97 lbs|
|18×10.0″ ET25-33||20.09 lbs|
|18×10.5″ ET24-36||20.55 lbs|
|18×11.0″ ET25-44||20.98 lbs|
Extensive work was done to produce a stronger wheel that was the same or only slightly more weight than the next competitor. TA5R uses the latest industry technology known as flow-forging or flow-forming. The process is similar to casting but with a tighter grain structure that makes the wheel stronger, similar to a true forged wheel. The superior process far surpasses older designs that use a straight casting process. Our TA5R 18″ wheels have a load rating of 720kg (1,587lbs), which is higher than other lightweight track wheels. Flow-forming and precise machining also produce a lighter wheel – our 18″ sizes come in under 19lbs up to just under 21lbs (see chart to right). The TA5R has been crush and impact tested and exceeds SAE, JWL, and VIA standards.
The wide-V-spoke design stretches all the way to the outer lip, a key component to the TA5R’s strength. They also allow tremendous caliper clearance behind the spokes. 18″ sizes clear all stock E36, E46, E9X, F3X, and F8X stock iron brakes plus 323-355mm BBK kits from Brembo, StopTech, PFC, and Wilwood. It also clears StopTech 380/ST60 (but not Brembo 380/6-piston).
Thanks to its lightweight barrel and robust face design, the TA5R stands up well against the rigors of endurance racing, as well as your average street potholes. The 18″ TA5R features a load rating of 1,587lbs.
- Wide V-spoke design out to the outer lip – superior strength
- Flow-formed, roll-forged barrel – high strength but low weight
- Reinforced inner lip for added strength over curbs
- Knurled bead seat reduces tire slippage
- Huge spoke clearance for big brake kits
- Closed-face hub maximizes strength in the hub
- Accepts OE BMW center cap (TA5R cap included)
- Accepts factory lug bolts, wheel locks, or stud conversions
- 32mm lug hole accommodates 19mm sockets
- Protective recessed valve stem pocket
- Tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) compatible (not included)