MSW’s Take: Need a more economical, but still strong wheel for your street, track, or race car? These TA5R wheel’s meet the needs for most applications.
The TA5R uses the latest flow-form manufacturing process to produce a light weight, strong, BMW track wheel with huge caliper clearance for street, track, autocross, and racing use. The TA5R borrows many design elements from our forged TA16 wheel but in a more economical price range. Compared to other flow-formed wheels on the market the TA5R is a similar weight but stronger, with huge caliper clearance, and at a similar price point.
Extensive work was done to produce a high-strength wheel that is the same or only slightly more weight than other track wheels. TA5R uses the latest industry technology known as flow-forging or flow-forming. The process is similar to casting but with a stronger roll-forged barrel and a tighter grain structure that makes the wheel stronger. The superior process far surpasses older designs that use a straight casting process. The TA5R 17″ wheels have a load rating of 660kg (over 1,450lbs), which is higher than some other lightweight track wheels. Flow-forming and precise machining also produce a lighter wheel – our 17″ sizes come in at just over 17lbs (see chart to right). The TA5R has passed SAE, JWL, and VIA testing standards.
The wide-V-spoke design stretches all the way to the outer lip, a key component to the TA5R’s strength. They also allow tremendous caliper clearance behind the spokes. 17″ sizes clear Brembo F40, StopTech ST40, and PFC 332mm and 355mm 4-piston brake kits.
Thanks to its lightweight, reinforced barrel and robust face design, the TA5R stands up well against the rigors of endurance racing, as well as your average street potholes. The 17″ TA5R features a load rating of 1,455lbs.
Weight: 17×8.5: 17.19lbs, 17×9: 17.24lbs
- Wide V-spoke design out to the outer lip – superior strength
- Flow-formed, roll-forged barrel – high strength but low weight
- Reinforced inner lip for added strength over curbs
- Knurled bead seat reduces tire slippage
- Huge spoke clearance for big brake kits
- Closed-face hub maximizes strength in the hub
- Accepts OE BMW center cap (TA5R cap included)
- Accepts factory lug bolts, wheel locks, or stud conversions
- 32mm lug hole accommodates 19mm sockets
- Protective recessed valve stem pocket
- Tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) compatible (not included)